Downtown Calgary is proud of its award-winning restaurants, shops, cultural venues and of course, the Calgary Stampede, but we all know what this city is really famous for.The food trucks in Calgary are among the best in the world. While strolling downtown, you can't travel far without experiencing the lingering scent of a nearby chow wagon. Whether it's tacos, Asian noodles, perogies, brunch, pastries, or good old hot dogs and fries, Calgary has a bountiful buffet of street meat on every corner.
A few weeks ago, the Calgary Herald ran a contest for the 10 top Calgary food trucks, and out of the 2,000 votes, here are the favourites:
10. Braizen (48 votes)Braizen offers home made multi-cultural delights including soba noodle salad, jerk chicken or sesame ginger pork sliders - all lovingly prepared from scratch.
9. The Food Fighter (52 votes)Mmmmmm .... mouth watering veal, chicken or eggplant parmigiano sandwiches - just like mama's.
8. Fries & Dolls (55 votes)When you see the hot pink truck you'll know it's Fries & Dolls. These ladies serve up gluten free smokies, fries and poutine (some claim the best in Calgary).
7. Cheezy Bizness (59 votes)There's no skimping on the cheese here with gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and other gooey, cheesy comfort foods.
6. Naaco Truck (107 votes)Their slogan says it all, "When Naan met taco...a spicy affair was born." Try it for yourself, the "Naaco".
5. Perogy Boyz (132 votes)Gourmet perogies with an added flair and other Ukrainian and Polish delights.
4. Steakout Truck (184 votes)Get your beef fix with juicy prime rib sandwiches, steak bites salad and a side of parmesan fries.
3. Alley Burger (234 votes)Nothing fancy, just burgers and fries, and man are they good!
2. Jelly Modern (258 votes)Described as an artisan doughnut, Jelly Modern offers a delectable array of toppings, such as Madagascar bourbon vanilla, Valrhona chocolate, and Nenshi's salted caramel. Yummy fillings include marshmallow, seasonal fruit, coconut, Skor bar and classic jelly ... the list goes on.
#1 FAVOURITE: Holy Crepe (325 votes)Offering their own twist on this classic French favourite, Holy Crepe features fillings that include spicy Italian sausage, Montreal smoked beef, Keftedes and curried chicken, to name a few.
The above choices represent only a small selection of the voting public. You owe it to yourself to get out there experience all the roaming kitchens in downtown Calgary and do some taste-testing of your own. Most of these food trucks offer downloadable apps so you can keep track of their locations at all times.